You did it. After months or even years, the braces are off. Woo-hoo! Not only that, but you’ve made the decision to learn more about your oral health by taking the time to read up on the steps you should take to maintain that perfect smile!
We at Christian Manley Orthodontics are thrilled to see you taking the initiative to keep those newly-straightened pearly whites gleaming and happy; that’s why we asked Dr. Manley to go over a few tips and tricks to set you up for success. Let’s get started!
Take care of your retainer!
Nothing is more vital when maintaining your perfect smile after your braces come off than wearing your retainer consistently! Studies show that many patients discontinue retainer use after the first few months and that this is far and away the most common cause of further orthodontic difficulties down the road. Be sure to wear your retainer for at least 22 hours a day for the first six months.
Here are a few more tips to keep in mind:
- Clean your retainer – it’s essential to keep it clean! An easy way to remember is to brush your retainer alongside your teeth.
- Don’t eat with your retainer in – this will make tip no. 1 a lot easier!
- Consider a backup – stuff happens, and we get it. Just make sure you have access to a spare if you need one.
You’ve worked hard over months or even years to get the best smile possible! Dr. Manley wants you to keep that smile, so be sure and get comfortable with that retainer!
Brush with the best!
It may go without saying, but we’ll say it anyway – Now that you’ve got your ideal smile, you want to maintain the basics of your oral health!
Luckily, you’ve been working with one of the best. Dr. Manley has surely gone over some basic tips, but let’s “brush up” below:
- We recommend using a soft bristle brush at a 45-degree angle for at least 2 minutes.
- Be sure and brush the insides of your teeth. Some patients may neglect these areas as they aren’t usually visible, but they’re just as important to your dental health.
- A new brush is a happy brush. Consider swapping your brush out every three months or so for optimal brush performance.
Keep regularly scheduled appointments.
Everyone here at Christian Manley Orthodontics is thrilled you’ve made it to this milestone! But be sure that you keep up that momentum.
Most patients will want to schedule an immediate post-removal cleaning, as there is a certain degree of expected plaque buildup between brackets in hard-to-reach areas during treatment.
After this, a regular, twice-yearly visit will ensure that your post-treatment course is on track.
Have fun, and keep smiling!
We’re glad you’ve taken the time to look deeper into your orthodontic health now that you’ve finished your braces treatment. Everyone here at Christian Manley Orthodontics is so happy that you’ve decided to join us so far, and we look forward to seeing you going forward!
Dr. Manley is a Washington native and a leading practitioner in the Greater Seattle area. You even voted him as your #1 Orthodontist on the East Side in Issaquah and Sammamish. He loves his vocation, he loves where he lives, and he loves serving the people of this community.
Thank you for letting us take care of your orthodontic health! We hope to see you again soon!