Surprisingly, the recommended age to bring your child to an orthodontist is around age 7! Don’t worry, we don’t intend to put braces on your 7 year old. One of the many benefits of bringing your child in at this age is that the orthodontist will be able to make an assessment and monitor growth. If there are options for early prevention, your child may not need braces in the future!
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR…
Your child may benefit from early prevention if certain cases are assessed early on. Read the list below to see if your child may be exhibiting signs of certain cases that should be looked at by Dr. Manley right away:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth (your child should typically start losing teeth around age five, and will have all their permanent teeth in around age 13)
- Difficulty chewing and/or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Your child continues sucking their thumb after age five
- Speech impediments
- Protruding teeth (the top teeth and the bottom teeth extend away from each other)
- Teeth that don’t come together in a normal manner or even at all
- Shifting of the jaw when your child opens or closes their mouth (cross-bites)
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
EARLY PREVENTION BENEFITS
Aside from possibly being able to avoid braces, early prevention has other benefits as well:
- Reduce the need for extractions
- Child will develop a trust for the orthodontist early on
- Reduce the need for surgeries
- Overall improved dental health
- Reduce the length of treatment if braces are necessary
Take advantage of the Complimentary Manley Smile Assessment (exam, digital x-rays, and consultation) and Dr. Manley, his team and you can determine the best path of treatment for your child. Click here or call to get started!
Over 15,000 Happy Smiles Transformed With Our Award-Winning Orthodontist – Serving Issaquah, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, Redmond, Bellevue, Newcastle, Maple Valley, Carnation, Fall City, Northbend & Renton, WA
Come experience Christian Manley Orthodontics! You will see we offer effective orthodontic treatment for children in and around Issaquah, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, Redmond, Bellevue, Newcastle, Maple Valley, Carnation, Fall City, Renton and Northbend, Washington (WA).