The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that your child’s initial orthodontic evaluation occur by age seven – the time when adult teeth are erupting. Of course, that doesn’t mean we intend to put braces on your 7-year-old. It’s about setting your child up for a lifetime of optimal oral health, One of the many benefits of bringing your child in at this age is that our pediatric orthodontist in Issaquah, WA, will be able to make an evaluation and monitor growth. If there are options for early prevention, your child may not need braces in the future!
SIGNS THAT YOUR CHILD MAY NEED AN ORTHODONTIC ASSESSMENT
Your child may benefit from early prevention if certain cases are evaluated early on. Read the list below to see if your child may be exhibiting signs of certain cases that should be promptly looked at by Dr. Manley:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth (your child should typically start losing teeth around age five, and will have all their permanent teeth in around age 13)
- Difficulty chewing and/or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Your child continues sucking their thumb after age five
- Speech impediments
- Protruding teeth (the top teeth and the bottom teeth extend away from each other)
- Teeth that don’t come together in a normal manner or even at all
- Shifting of the jaw when your child opens or closes their mouth (cross-bites)
- Crowded front teeth around age seven or eight
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF EARLY PREVENTION?
Aside from possibly being able to avoid braces, early prevention has other benefits such as:
- Reduce the need for extractions
- Develop a trust for the orthodontist at an early age
- Reduce the need for surgeries
- Overall improved dental health
- Reduce the length of treatment if braces are necessary
Take advantage of the Complimentary Manley Smile Assessment (exam, digital x-rays, and consultation) and Dr. Manley, his team and you can determine the best path of treatment for your child. Click here or call to get started!
Over 15,000 Happy Smiles Transformed with Our Award-Winning Pediatric Orthodontist in Issaquah, WA
Come experience Christian Manley Orthodontics! You will see we offer effective orthodontic treatment for children in and around Issaquah, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, Redmond, Bellevue, Newcastle, Maple Valley, Carnation, Fall City, Renton and Northbend, Washington (WA).